Friday 16 April 2010

2 Days till Marathon Day!

Hi All. This is my first attempt at blogging so be gentle! These blogs will be about my exercise exploits and perhaps some every day stuff too.

Just a little background for those of you who don't know me. I decided that I was growing in all the wrong directions in April 2009 and wanted a physical challenge. I tried to apply for London Marathon 2010 but failed to even make it into the ballot. So decided Southend Half Marathon in six weeks was a sensible target. Went out on the 2nd May 2009 to get myself some gear and went for my first 3 mile run that day.

Didn't train sufficently, and only managed 5 miles as my longest run before the big day. The steaming hot weather and lack of training did for me, and so my sub 2hour target soon looked hugely ambitious. Managed to drag myself around in a lowly 2 Hours 17.

Now almost a year later, my body has changed as have my Half Marathon times. I have now run 5HM's, 2 10K's, 1 5K and a 15 Mile cross country race. My PB's are as follows:

HM - 1:39:32
10K - 47:15
5K - 22:07
15Miler - 2:18:55

But my most pressing target as the title suggests is the Brighton Marathon on 18th April 2010. Less than two days away! My preparation as always has been haphazard and I have followed my own plan (Do what you want when you want). Will definately be looking to train in a more structured way post Brighton.

My Targets for Brighton are as follows:

1) Finish the race.
2) Sub 4 Hours
3) Sub 3Hrs 45mins
4) Sub 3 Hrs 40mins
5) Try & Smile over the finish line.

Yes for those of you with supercomputers for brains you will have noticed I have three time related goals. I am not going to run the Brighton Marathon three times in succession. These are staggered goals. Sub 4hours will leave me feeling ok, sub 3hrs 45mins very pleased and sub 3hrs 40mins ecstatic.

So there you have it my first blog. Hope it proved factual, entertaining or inspiring. Regardless of what it left you feeling, I will be posting a post race report on Sunday :-) Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck Si! Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Very nice blog, enjoyable, easy read. Flowing prose and captured the essence of your character. That is my 'semi-professional' opinion as an English grad ;) Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete